1. Victims of serious international crimes – it must be one or more of the objectives of the group to speak out against alleged serious international crimes that have happened to the members.
2. Decision-making structure – it must be able to be verified that decisions of the group represent the wishes of its members.
3. Information dissemination procedure – it must be demonstrated that all members of the group are regularly receiving information from the governing members, so that they have enough information to understand and participate in decision-making.
4. Commitment to solidarity with other victim groups – the group must be supportive of and willing to share their experiences with similar groups all over the world.
5. VAI will benefit the group – VAI must provide utility to the group that they cannot otherwise access.